Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Reading Night

I had to do some errands when I got home and now it's almost 7:30. Filler material coming up!

If you are into high tech companies I can point you to a new blog that just started. Fellow Bostonian Jonathan Lundberg (@BreakoutBull on Twitter) has opened up his own site and it's pretty sharp. Take a look here:
Jonathan Lundberg
Congrats man!

Reading Night
I need to get some sleep tonight and luckily it is reading night! Tuesday and Wednesday nights I dedicate to reading a book or two. Super bonus, I forgot I ordered the new Star Wars novel which came in the mail yesterday!:
Star Wars "Ascension":
Should be good!

What else have I been reading? All kinds of stuff. Here is a book list in case you want to pick something up to read.

"Handling the Undead" by John Ajvide Lindqvist:
Another zombie novel? Not even close. A totally novel take on the genre. This book is painful, sad, and moving. I can highly recommend.

Jennifer Hillier's "Creep":
Several readers got a free copy from me a while back. So much to like here. Sharp dialogue, fast pace, characters you want to hate and like, this is a great time. What's better, if you like it, the sequel is on the way!

"The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon" by David Grann:
Ok this one was on tap for this week but got bumped by Star Wars. Looks really interesting in a high adventure sort of way.

Jack Finney "About Time":
From the author of maybe my favorite book, "Time and Again". A collection of short stories that are all excellent.

"Under the Dome" by Stephen King:
So an entire town gets trapped inside an invisible barrier? Sounds stupid right? He makes it work!

Have a good night.

6 comments:

Jennifer Hillier said...

Hey, it's like a book blog over here! I thought I was lost for a second...

Thanks for the shout out! I'm tempted to mention The Band That May Not Be Named again, but then you'll probably ban me for a second offense.

GawainsGhost said...

I'm not much for contemporary fiction. I find very little there interesting. I am enjoying Ms. Hillier's book though.

The only Steven King novel I read was The Stand. Biological warfare germ escaping, very scary stuff. That could happen, you know.

I hate to get all political on you, but this is what concerns me about the immigration debate. Disease control. Multiple drug resistant tuberculosis, whooping cough, small pox, are you kidding me? We can't allow people with diseases like that to just wander into our cities.

If you had a teenage daughter who went on a date to a movie, would you rather have the guy sitting behind her be a pot smoker or someone with a communicable disease that could kill her? It's a simple question.

By the way, this morning on the news I saw that AC/DC is opening a winery in Australia. Names like Highway to Hell cabernet, and stuff like that. Maybe they'll be as successful as Sammy Hagar was with his tequila venture. You never know.

I'm more of a Jack Daniel's man myself. But I do enjoy a good cabernet every now and again. I do have a bottle of Amantillado, out of respect for Edgar Allan Poe, and a bottle of Elvis wine, but I doubt I'll ever drink them. Just keep them as souveniers, you know.

As far as books go, I recommend the classics: Homer, Virgil, Dante, Chaucer, Shakespeare, Poe, Whitman, Dickinson, Twain, Fitzgerald, those guys. But I would also strongly recommend Dumas. The Count of Monte Christo is a real page turner.

Did you know that Dumas was black? Yep, he was a Loatian, but he knew the French better than anybody. Just like Hawthorne knew the Puritans better than anybody.

The Scarlet Letter, yeah, I read that book in high school. It bored the hell out of me, until I got to the end. Who was it that impregnated this young girl, forced her to wear the Scarlet Letter, be shamed, raise her fatherless child?

The minister. That's who.

It's the same with these politicians. They won't even give you a reach around.

This is what I'm talking about.

David Batista said...

Already read Jen's book, and yes it was GREAT! :)

The Stephen King book looks good. It's been a while since I read something by him, but I've been a big fan for decades now.

That Undead book looks amazing. Judging by who the author is, I'm guessing the undead in this case are vampires. But maybe I'm wrong. Worth checking out, though.

I stopped reading Star Wars books after the first two Kevin J. Anderson series. For me, the best of the best will always be Zahn's "Thrawn" SW novels. I mean, WOW! I would like for those to be made into movies--seriously!

EconomicDisconnect said...

JH, I can change it up! Play nice....

Gawains, read some of the classics, but not all of them.

David, yes The Thrawn Trilogy would be epic!

Budd said...

Creep was very good. Thanks for the copy. Funny story, the day I got it in the mail it was also waiting for me at the library.

Watchtower said...

GYSC, I know you are a fan of World War Z and was wanting to know if you have read The Zombie Survival Guide too?