Thursday, July 14, 2011

One Day to Go in Wild Week

I would be excited for Friday except I cannot have any beers at all until after Monday!!!!! As is, I think there will be Friday Night stuff so get some requests in.

On the wireless front I was looking for info on my computer and many places said to install the supplied antenna for better results. Went to the basement and checked the box, there was an antenna there! It screws into the wireless card at the back of the computer. This works pretty well but still need to overhaul the system.

Google Beats Estimates
After the bell Google (GOOG) beat estimates by "a mile" or some stuff. I have no idea how estimates are made, and the employee options stuff gets me confused. In any case, ad revenue was rocking and the company is getting things going in all kinds of spaces, like my Android Revolution phone. I am actually a big fan of Google as they are best positioned to beat up on Facebook and Apple. Should inject some more drama into an already wild week that ends with options expiration. Which I think really happened today as I have read many times. I know, confusing.

Ben Bernanke "Don't Let me be Misunderstood"
After 3 days of similar statements and markets hanging on every word as if it was from Zeus, Bernanke must be listening to this Santa Esmeralda:

Yup.

For all the cheap seats:

Bernanke said there would have to be a real drop in things economic before new measures would be taken. As in, not today or next week.

Got it? After the wicked beat by the ISM last week, GOOG blowing it out of the water, and initial jobs claims dropping a monster 5k today things are on track for 3.5-4.5% GDP growth in quarter 3 and 4.

Still, had to grab this capture of a FINVIZ news feed today:
Damped speculation on new stimulus, what a guy.

Clearing Things Up
Last night I noted that I am more of a macro investor. But have I not been trading actively this year? Yes to both. I have large parts of my VAST (lol) personal wealth spaced into different ways of making returns. Long term accounts (where my physical metals reside and other stuff) which make up about 70%, and then my trading account which is 30% or so depending on what I want to put in play. I can operate shorter term with this, and it's more fun to lose to try and make money. I have big picture ideas that may make me more bearish on things, but for the swing trades I can move quick. It is not incompatible. As of now after being sick and not good at trading crazy wild markets the trading account is all cash. Looking to try some things next week I hope.

Have a good night.

8 comments:

GawainsGhost said...

If you own something, a precious metal or stocks or real estate or a football team, it isn't worth anything until you sell it.

A house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That is true. Neither is anything else.

I laugh when people say that Jerry Jones paid $1.2 billion for a stadium. No, he didn't. He took out an $800 million mortgage, with interest, and convinced the taxpayers in Arlington to cough up the rest.

That stadium is only worth $1.2 billion if someone is willing to pay that much for it, and I doubt anyone would what with the current state of these Cowboys.

A deal is a willing buyer and a willing seller agreeing on a price, with full disclosure. It never is anything else.

The better deals are when the buyer pays a little more, the seller accepts a little less, neither are very happy about it but they both get what they want. Oh, and I get paid, that's the best part.

Prices go up, prices go down, in everything. Conventional wisdom says, buy low, sell high. Yeah, well, all conventional wisdom is wrong.

Buy when the price is right. Sell when the price is right. You'll lose money on some deals, make money on others. The trick is to make more than you lose. Unless you're an agent, who gets paid whether the buyer or seller makes or loses money.

There are expenses, of course. Negotiating deals is not for everyone, but it does pay.

My advice would be, caveat emptor, buyer beware. There is money to be made and lost. Do your research.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Good advice on all fronts Gawains. The price is right!

Watchtower said...

GYSC, now that I have high speed internet and the sky is the limit, I would like for you to pick the baddest a** Randy Rhoads vid that you know of for Friday Night Entertainment.
Now that it doesn't take 2 hours (I don't think I'm exaggerating in the least) to download a 4 - 5 minute Youtube vid, I will watch every glorious second of it...I promise.

Can you make that happen?

EconomicDisconnect said...

I can make most anything happen, lol.

Watchtower said...

Cool.

Can you think of any other thing that is a 'must see'?

Not necessarily tonight, but if some things come to mind over the next few days please don't hesitate to send them my way : )

I'm talking about things like the all time best round of boxing on Youtube you've came across, or the most incredible space pic, things like that.

Jennifer Hillier said...

The comments here are just as interesting as the original post! I *think* I understand some of it. I'm trying! :)

TGIF. My request? Something mellow.

Family Physicians said...

Google is best positioned to beat up on Facebook and Apple.

Can Google be defeated someday?

EconomicDisconnect said...

Family Physicians, Google can only be contained, NEVER defeated!!!!!