Monday, July 25, 2011

Housekeeping

It rained here in the Boston area right at the afternoon commute time. Of course no one here can drive in rain so I had an extra long ride home. Late start so just a few links, notes, and clean up.

Debt Deal Drama
I really think this is getting overblown. Still it holds lessons on how the new order of things operate. No less than 4 times last night I heard on mainstream news networks that a deal was desired "before the Asian stock markets open". There you are, stock markets are now the only gauge anyone cares about. Jobs, growth, and anything else is a side show to a few ticks of markets all over the world. Thanks financial crisis, now a 3% move in market indices is a reason to invoke national security. What will be the next step? "The War Against Lower Prices"?

Great Visual Aid
If you are into trading or just follow along with things financial you would do well to check out this post over at Dragonfly Capital:
Market Topography
Top shelf chart artist Greg Harmon gives you clear examples of some great trading formations like:
-Bull Flag
-Higher Highs and Higher Lows
-Symmetrical Triangles
And some more. Check it out!

To all the Genes I've Cloned Before
I had the project tracking system we use open today so I sorted it by my completed projects to see how many clones I have done since I started at my current job.

1078 complete expression constructs in 5 years.

Wow. What is funny is I can remember almost all of them at least a little bit.

Looking back over 12 years in molecular biology I can only guess that I have cloned about 2500 or so single genes, and made around 3500 expression constructs.

Here is what a vector map looks like:
Trust me it's not that complicated.

My favorite project? Cloning a novel aminoglycoside pathway with antibacterial properties from a soil sample. These things are HUGE and complex, very tough to find and harder to get expression. This one was arranged like the streptomycin pathway. For a general reading see Wikipedia's entry for Streptomycin and go from there.

Have a good night.

7 comments:

Jennifer Hillier said...

Now I have that Julio Iglesias/Willie Nelson song in my head... what a horrible earworm!

EconomicDisconnect said...

I dedicate this song, er, post...

Willie's is better.

Budd said...

it doesn't really rain in boston though. It is more like the clouds spitting on you most of the time.

The Sovereign Bohemian said...

I liked the Dragonfly link. But then you started throwing in a bunch of $10 words about your work. I even went to the Wiki page and I thought my head was going to explode. :)

As long as you know what you're doing GYSC!

EconomicDisconnect said...

Trust me TSB, I do. I think......

The Sovereign Bohemian said...

Hahaha...I'm sure you do!

Kellywsez said...

This seems to be a new wave of treatment now being suggested. Please select options: Quantity: 60 Tablets. Norm Shealy states that it may take a year to return to normal cellular levels of magnesium versus six weeks using transdermal magnesium therapy. Best to get extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil.