Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's Complicated!

I decided to join the new era and got a smart phone today. I went with the Droid Revolution by LG. It is pretty amazing and I think it is more powerful than my desktop computer! Thing is, it's complicated with all the stuff it can do! I am overwhelmed actually. First thing I did was turn off the annoying auto-complete function because that pissed me off. I am still working with it but it is a bit intimidating. You people can use these things? Wow.

Saturday Night Fights
A few boxing clips for your entertainment.

Marvin Hagler KO3 Mustafa Hamsho
A rematch after a bloody brawl won by Hagler (TKO11) saw "The Syrian Buzzsaw" get knocked out for the only time in his career. Catch the vicious combo at the 7:45 mark and then the lightning fast combination that floors Hamsho at the 8:20 mark:

Had Sugar Ray Leonard fought Hagler at this point he would not have made it to round 5.

Muhammad Ali KO3 Cleveland Williams
Cleveland "Big Cat" Williams was a feared heavyweight contender all through the 1960's. In perhaps his finest display of boxing, Muhammad Ali makes it look easy as he destroys Williams near the end of round 2 (5:20 mark on) and the fight is topped in round 3:

Yes, I think the Ali before his years away from boxing due to legal issues was the greatest heavyweight of all time.

Aaron Davis KO9 Mark Breland
Back when good fights could be seen on free TV, this war between mark Breland and Aaron Davis was a wild treat. Davis, with a broken right hand and closed eyes, delivers the BOOM at the 4:48 mark of the 9th round:

WOW.

Jeff Harding KO12 Dennis Andries
In a fight he could not win on points, Harding hammers the gas pedal in the last round to stop Andries and win the Light Heavyweight title. Last round starts at the 2:45 mark:

Saw this one live, very exciting!

Have a good night.

4 comments:

David Batista said...

Welcome to the party, GYSC--the smartphone revolution! :)

I've had one--an iPhone--for going on 3 years now. I'm always up-to-date on the latest tech and gadgets and whatnot, so it was quite easy to adjust to on my end. But I know you'll get the hang of it in no time. I got my wife and all my friends into getting one, too, and they don't know how they can get through life without one now. Ha!

Oh, and that Ali fight was beautiful! Wow! Thanks for posting that up.

EconomicDisconnect said...

David,
Glad you caught the beauty on that fight. He was the best for sure.

GawainsGhost said...

Call me retro, but I refuse to participate in the smart phone revolution.

Ali was better when he was Cashius Clay. And losing those years when he was at his prime did take away a lot from him.

What made him great was his unique ability to punch forward while stepping back. I don't think I've ever seen another boxer who could do that as skillfully.

Those bouts with Frazier, Norton and Holmes were epic.

scharfy said...

LOVE that Hagler clip. THat guy he was fighting was a tough SOB. Great clips man. Love the range of Ali. A true boxer puncher. So elegant. Effortless destruction.

I think you will learn to love the Android OS. If/when you go to 4G speeds, you will be overwhelmed. Synchs with all my google reader accounts so I can check my favorite blogs, and they all become unread on my nome PC.

Google maps/ navigation is my most used app.

Like the new format.