Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Chop Shop

It seems like a long time ago when I was on vacation! Maybe I need a summer trip? Ideas anyone?

Chop Shop
The never ending upward Bernanke market has given way to a chop shop type show. It's not even fair to call it that. This market is like some morning when you walk out to your car and during the night some nuts jacked the car up and stole the wheels right off it. Seems like a lot of effort to go through for a few wheels, but people do what people do. Examples:



Today I missed having my WNR (weener, get it!) cut off because I had my stop so tight on this piece of shit stock that I got executed right at the open. I got stopped out for a 6 cent loss (fractional percentage) and then the stock dropped over 7% for the day. River flooding is going to cause havoc with refiners in the area, too bad WNR is based in Texas. Who cares, the whole sector got ripped.

Oil, silver and the whole commodity show got blasted again and the margin games keep going on. I have read this is due to protection from the uncreased volatility and perfectly normal. Can't wait for margin hikes for stocks when those start moving with some volatility.

I am still in OCLR, LF and SOFO. The charts still are holding up, but who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Volume during sell off days is 2 times higher than upside days. Who has all these shares to sell when no one buys them? I guess all the dip buyers buying on all the small drops. To be honest this stuff is getting pretty boring.

Cipher Twitter
I was thinking about the Twitter revolution and it seems the younger folks are moving that way (away from Facebook) because your Mom posting on your wall about your drunken weekend must be getting old by now. What could be next? How about Cipher Twitter?

Quick and easy Cipher definition:
In cryptography, a cipher (or cypher) is an algorithm for performing encryption or decryption — a series of well-defined steps that can be followed as a procedure. An alternative, less common term is encipherment. In non-technical usage, a “cipher” is the same thing as a “code”; however, the concepts are distinct in cryptography.
So where am I going with this?

What kid wants their parents to read their tweets? Maybe you want to get your name out there and be 100% open, but maybe you want to leverage the broad media of Twitter to communicate quickly with your friends, readers, etc. If Titter offered a service that would encrypt your text (for a small fee), then you could submit "keys" to those you want to see your posts (again, incremental fee here per reader?) so they could read the decoded message. Just think, you could instantly write up:

"BE SURE TO DRINK YOUR OVALTINE"

hit ENCRYPT, and this goes out instead to your reader list:

"ML$(*&^NBGFJOI^$(^%$#@()MMKLLGR%%^"

if you have supplied the key, they can read your message.

The applications are endless. Want to divulge a trade to followers but don't want the world to see it? Cipher Twitter can do that. Want to get a revenue stream coming in from readers that want to decode your posts to see what you are saying? Here you go, Cipher Twitter. Want to keep Mom and Dad from reading your exploits? Encrypt it! There are many more.

I understand that the main point of Twitter is to get your quick thought out there ultra fast for as many people to see it as possible. 90% of the time that will be fine. I think Twitter should offer a cipher option and charge small money for it, I think it would take off. As I know nothing about Twitter maybe they already have this function. If so, disregard this whole section.

Have a good night.

8 comments:

watchtower said...

I was wondering how you made out in the market today (after posting your trades yesterday), sounds like you came out of it better than I would have thought with todays action.

"Maybe I need a summer trip? Ideas anyone?"

We (my wife, daughter and I) went to Niagara Falls in July a couple of years ago, we really enjoyed it.
It was about 95 degrees and 95% humidity when we took off from Lambert Field (St Louis) and a picture perfect 68 degree day in Toronto when we landed.
Had a short drive in the rental car to Niagara Falls and it was fantastic, cherry tree farms everywhere.
Stayed on the Canada side (don't stay on the NY side, it's OK to visit there but don't get your hotel there) and it seemed like we had plenty to do and see.

I've been out West and to the Caribbean and such but I really enjoyed this.
Maybe it is because I'm an outdoors kind of guy and the area just appealed to me, or maybe it was because the weather was perfect when we were there, probably a little of both.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Watchtower,
I always wanted to do a trip to the finger lakes region in upstate NY; some good fishing camps up there.

Today was muddled; the three I still have held up ok but this market is annoying with all the fake breakouts and failed chart patterns. Mainly just boring really.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Ha! I thought Blogger had "issues" because twitter wanted to delete the evidence I invented Cipher Twitter!

Jennifer Hillier said...

BE SURE TO DRINK YOUR OVALTINE... hahahahaha!

Love that movie.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Good pick up. Friday night is going to happen it seems, post up in a bit, I have to find content.

Imperfect Reason said...

Why not have more than one account? One rarely used with your Mom as one of your followers (keep her happy and post a few times per day) and your real one for all your friends? Ask your friends to sign up for both so your Mom can be fooled?

EconomicDisconnect said...

Imperfect Reason,
of course that would make sense and be easy but then my trillion dollar idea would not be needed so I am against that option 100%!

Robertsfobf said...

Imperfect Reason, of course that would make sense and be easy but then my trillion dollar idea would not be needed so I am against that option 100%!