Thursday, February 17, 2011

Overloaded

Just one of those days with too much going on. Quick hits.

Overloaded
My wife had a second interview for the kind of job she has been wanting for a long time. It went very well and I am so hopeful she gets this position. I know it's goofy, but if anyone wants to throw a little hope for my wife's prospects for the job this way, I would welcome them. It is a perfect fit and a real leg up.

It was super busy at real work today, so that added to it all.

Where to start?

Earnings Lotto
I held AMRC for earnings lotto today for two reasons. One, it is a very small position. Two, I wanted to play! I can say it was wild waiting for the wires to show the numbers then see market reaction. Well, both sucked. How a company has interest rate issues in a ZIRP world (anyone explain that one??) I have no idea but that thing gapped down 12% plus at the open. I had no stops set so I was like "well, it's not 20%!" and stopped looking at it. By days end, AMRC was down a whopping 4% and I am down 6% on the position. What a ride. I will hold for a dead cat bounce but I am done with AMRC. I missed this call (strange pattern I had seen that would either be very good or very bad) so I made a lotto bet. I lost. It happens.

Stellar Solars
I exited my two solar stock positions before lunch today:
JASO +9.2%
YGE +7.3%
These two were large positions and I am not playing earnings lotto with things in size. Thanks go to chessNwine for the scalped picks, nice call!

I am still holding COCO and PRSP, both up around 3.5% and watching.

What Else?
Did you all see that the Stardust program caught amazing pictures of another comet? So wild.

Ok, I am done.

Have a good night.

5 comments:

Stagflationary Mark said...

Hope!

EconomicDisconnect said...

I made a crappy comment before because I missed the meaning.

Mark,
thank you so much! If the wife lands this job I can really take it easy! Great opportunity here and they would be nuts to not hire her.

GawainsGhost said...

I wish you wife all the best in her job pursuit. Although I would caution that the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train.

So, let's see. You're down 6% on one stock, up 9.2% and 7.3% on two, and holding steady at 3.5% on two others. Not exactly the 10% return you expect, but I'd say you covered your bets, made more money than you lost. Which is more than I can say about most people.

By the way I watched Casablanca last night, the original version in black and white, not the colorized imitation. I'd forgotten what a great movie that is. Most highly recommended.

GawainsGhost said...

By the way, for Friday Night Entertainment, I have two recommendations from a lost era.

Jefferson Airplane, "White Rabbit."

David Essex, "Rock On."

EconomicDisconnect said...

Well there is position sizing to consider Gawains. In any case so far this year I am 5 wins, 1 loss, and two to be determined.