Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sunday Cooking Pictures

We had some guests come over yesterday and I did my first BBQ cook for non family members on the Big Steel Keg. I think it came out pretty good and everyone had a good time.

I went with both big Beef Ribs and my first set of baby back pork ribs. I also did some burgers an dogs at the end for the kids and in case the ribs came out badly! You never know!

Here are the beef ribs before I prepped them:

Huge set this time. The local butcher has some good stuff.

Here are the two racks all rubbed up with the smoking spices:


Of course if I have plans, it rains! It was supposed to be light rain but it was coming down pretty solid. I set up a covered station to stay dry:


The cook took about 4 hours before the ribs were ready for the final saucing/crisping up step. Here they are about done:

Looking good!

Here they are on the cutting board:

Nice!

My friends are big BBQ fans and they were surprised how well they came out. Both racks were gone in about 30 minutes so I guess they must have been good. I know I loved the beef ribs and even the baby backs were very good.

I had a full beef rib, about 4 baby backs and I rounded it out with some potato salad, you know, for balance.

I am very pleased with this grill and glad I bought it. If I keep making these kinds of things I will see inflation.....of my waist size!

Have a good night.

Addendum:
Reader Gawains is picking on me in the comments so here are some more cooks on the Keg!

Steak tenderloins? The Keg can go 800 degrees plus so no problem:
Before:

At end of cook:

They were excellent!

How about a pizza? No problem:

Now the pizza addict wife will not order out for delivery anymore!

What about smoked SPAM (go long HRL!)? Here it comes:

SPAM with bacon, what could be better? After the cook:

Not bad at all!

For desert? My favorite:

2 Onza Mexico Libertad

How about a 1860 8 Reales from the Zacatecas mint?:

Nice after dinner.

Have a good night.

12 comments:

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

I'm salivating!

EconomicDisconnect said...

Glad you like the pictures of the food!

GawainsGhost said...

Those do look pretty damn good, GYC. But I'll be impressed when you learn how to grill a sirloin.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Gawains,
don't be a smart-a%%!

I usually do not snap pictures of the steaks but I will post some tenderloins I cooked as an addendum just for you!

EconomicDisconnect said...

Plus some silver deserts!

GawainsGhost said...

Now, that is what I'm talking about.

I ought to send you some pictures of my stamp collection. First day of issue (stamped) on commemorative envelopes of the complete series--American Revolution, Bicentennial, Space Program, Moon Landing (also stamped day of landing, so it is incredibly rare). It's quite valuable really.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Have you seen the film "Brewsters Millions"? Funny moment when he mails a million dollar stamp.

au soleil levant said...

Wow, those look amazing! Sounds like they taste as good as they look, too.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Soleil,
I wish I could cook for you my dear. Going to visit Boston any time soon?

Dave in Denver said...

Omigod those ribs look good. I must moved and punted my old grill. Looking into getting one of those green egg grills, but they're expensive.

I like the "balance" of potato salad LOL

EconomicDisconnect said...

Dave,
Big Green Egg (with all parts) = $1800

Big Steel Keg with all parts:
$550

You decide!

I want to do a huge BBQ for Soleil, Mark, Dave, Kid Dynamite, Ilargi, Stoneleigh, and whomever wants to come. Any takers this summer?

Kid Dynamite said...

have you seen the show on HBO - the BBQ reality show? it's kinda lame because all they do is the same thing every week - a BBQ competition in a different place, but you might be interested.

some guys have computers that regulate their smokers...

your ribs look wicked good. with the steak, do you just sear them at 800 degrees and then cook them at a cooler temp? or what?