Saturday, January 16, 2010

NFL Divisional Playoff Weekend

It seems most had a good time last night with the Friday post and that is great. I do try to both inform and entertain!

NFL Divisional Playoff Weekend
Monster games today and all are tough ones to call.

Before the game section I would like to congratulate Marvin Lewis on winning NFL coach of the year. The leader of the Cincinnati Bengals had his team play well this year and win the AFC North division. While they did lose their first playoff game, the season overall was a great success.

Arizona Cardinals at New Orleans Saints
I do not think Arizona has a firm grasp on just how loud the Superdome will be today. A few years ago in a playoff divisional game against Philadelphia in the Dome my TV speakers almost blew out! It will be a raucous crowd.

This game can go a few different ways and any way it goes it will be a high scoring affair. I think the Saints are rested and motivated, and as an added inspiration they have brought back New Orleans legend Deuce McAllister to lead the team out for the game.

The Cardinals are red hot, just like last year in the playoffs. They can kill you in different ways and they are not afraid of playing on the road. Kurt Warner is a hall of fame quarterback in my opinion.

So how is it going to go? I think the Saints are going to open the game fast and overwhelm the Cardinals early. The game will slow down after a while and a late rally by the Cardinals will fall short.
Prediction: Saints 38, Cardinals 28

Baltimore Ravens at Indianapolis Colts
The Ravens are coming off a pounding of my New England Patriots and must feel confident not just due to last week, but that they lost a close game to the Colts (17-15) earlier in the year.

The Colts are in the same spot they are in almost every year. They usually disappoint. As I have written, the Colts do not have a "high gear" for the playoffs they play the same all the time, which is excellent, but they lack a second level.

I think this game will remain close but I cannot see how the Ravens will generate enough points to win. To beat the Colts you must score at least 28 points and I do not see that happening for Baltimore unless Ed Reed runs a pick back for a TD.
Prediction: Colts 27, Ravens 17

Dallas Cowboys at Minnesota Vikings
Another great match up on a power packed weekend.

The entire game will come down to one question; can the Vikings run the ball inside effectively? It the Vikings are forced to the air either by falling behind or being unable to run the ball they will lose the game. If the Vikings can run this changes everything. The Cowboys have not played a run oriented team since they played the Giants.

This game is impossible to call and I am having a tough time. Because Cowboys mega fan Gawains picked the Cardinals to upset the Saints (on my own blog no less!) I feel this is affecting my call!
Prediction: Vikings 30, Cowboys 27

New York Jets at San Diego Chargers
This game should be very interesting. The Chargers have been very strong for the last 2 months and they are very, very hungry. The upstart Jets have ignored the critics and played their kind of football.

This game does not suit the Chargers as much as most think. The Jets are weak against the run (I don't care what the stats say) but the Chargers do not run the ball. Darrelle Revis is a problem and I know Phillip Rivers will go after him and how that goes will be huge. The Chargers are not very good at stopping the run, and the Jets run very well.

Another tough game to call, but I think the Jets will not score enough points to win.
Prediction: Chargers 24, Jets 20

It seems that the band Scandal resonated with many last night. On the chance that the Ravens could bounce the Colts from the playoffs tonight (PLEASE!!) I will embed the following tune so I can play it for the Colts if they lose:

Good Bye to You Peyton Manning!

Have a good night.

17 comments:

EconomicDisconnect said...

WHO DAT SAINTS!???

How impressive can a team be anyway?

GawainsGhost said...

Well, the Cardinals really impressed me last week against Green Bay, and I thought they would come into this game gunning. But injuries set them back. Still, I thought it would be a closer game than it was.

The Saints are playing very good football right now. And I'm happy for the city of New Orleans to get to host a Conference Championship game.

I still say the Ravens are going to take it to the Colts. The Chargers are going to take it to the Jets. And the Cowboys are going to take it to the Vikings.

That means next week Dallas has to travel to New Orleans for a rematch of the game that turned the Cowboys' season around. And won't that be fun to watch.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Gawains,
yes indeed if the Cowboys win a rematch is very interesting!

EconomicDisconnect said...

Well I guess the NFL is like the NBA because the fake call in the end zone on Ray Lewis before half time is as silly a call as I have ever seen.

Colts up 17-3 and this game is over.

Congrats on the referee help you fing pansie ass Colts.

Dave in Denver said...

I hope the Ravens can take the 2nd half k.o. and drive for a t.d. Lewis got screwed on that illegal helmet to helmet on a defenseless receiver call that gave the Colts the ball inside the 10. Lewis hit him a just after the ball went thru the guy's hands. It was a b.s. call.

Dave in Denver said...

LOL - i seriously didn't see your comment before I posted mine! Confirms my view on that call.

The Ravens defense doesn't seem to be as energized as last week.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Dave,
we might have crossed comments but YES what a fake call! At least make it LOOK like the game is fair. How the F#### does Lewis know the ball has been out? I fear pressure on refs to make sure Manning makes the superbowl.

No matter, my Saints will obliterate anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EconomicDisconnect said...

Dave,
LOL posting in real time has its issues!

Anonymous said...

SCANDALOUS!!! I'll take this over Lady Gaga any day!

EconomicDisconnect said...

Sonic, Yuppers

GawainsGhost said...

Well, I was 0-2 yesterday. Not that it matters really, the only game I care about is today.

I had to go with the Cardinals because if they had won Dallas would had hosted the Conference Championship, and I could have driven up there to see it. Selfish I know, but wishful thinking more than anything else.

I was stunned the Ravens were as flat as they were. When you got a team that's been running for 215+ yards a game for five weeks in a row, you have to figure they're going to manhandle an undersized Colts defense that hasn't played a meaningful game in a month. But Indianapolis came out surprisingly strong, and yeah the refs helped them.

The NFL and the networks want the ratings bonanza that will come with matchups between the Colts and the Chargers, and the Cowboys and the Saints. And most likely they'll get it.

I watched Favre's press conference after he studied game film on the Cowboys defense. Frankly, he looked scared, and he should be. The pressure on him to win is greater than it is on Romo, and there's this nagging doubt in the back of his mind owing to the fact that he's never beaten Dallas in the playoffs (0-3) and never won a gmae at Texas Stadium (0-9). So after couple of hard hits and a solid sack or two or four, he'll revert to his desperate old interception-prone self. It should be a hell of a game though, for a while anyway.

The Chargers are going to embarrass the Jets. They have a date in Indianapolis next week.

Anonymous said...

This is a celebrated article as they all are. I have been wondering wide this an eye to some time now. Its notable to grow this info. You are reasonable and balanced.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Rough start for the Cowboys, lets hope Gawains makes it through the game!

GawainsGhost said...

Well, that was painful to watch. About as thorough an ass-whipping as I've seen in a while. Ugly.

But it's like I always say, the Dallas Cowboys, they'll either lift your spirit or break your heart. On any given game day.

Football season is over for me now. But I'll take the Saints over the Chargers in the Super Bowl.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Shocking Jets victory! San Diego Loses again!

GawainsGhost said...

I just read that! I didn't watch the game. I'm too busy sitting in a dark room wallowing in my misery.

Stunning. I really didn't think they had it in them. Now if they can beat the Colts, that will be impressive.

EconomicDisconnect said...

New Post up, but yes what a shocker!!!!